Saturday, September 17, 2011

I came in 9th, but really I won!

My dad said recently, "When people ask me how you are doing, I tell them, Kate with MS is pretty much the same as Kate without MS."

But actually, Kate today is even better than Kate a year ago, before I learned I had MS. I enjoy spending time with my great kids and my husband, Victor. My parents and brother and his family live nearby, so we get to spend lots of time with them too. The picture you see is me racing to my wedding on top of Whiteface Mountain. Our family gathered for a perfect weekend of love and celebration in June. I have participated in many races this year and done really well. I am stronger than ever. I love my job and do lots of volunteer work in my free time. Life is very, very good.

What few people see is that I have to inject myself everyday, which is no fun at all. And I worry that the drug I take might actually do some harm. But, it I believe it is also keeping me from relapsing, so I try not to think about it. I also have a lot of residual pain. I have been going to physical therapy and that helps some. When it gets really bad, I take some pain killers, but mostly I work through it. I don't worry anymore about waking up and not being able to walk, or see, or remember things. I take each day as it comes. I am thankful for this wonderful life I have right now.

But, it would be even better if there was a cure.  The Westchester Cycle Club is a big part of my life these days. So, we are going to ride and volunteer.  The money goes to research that might mean I don't have to take a drug that messes with my immune system. It might mean I won't ever have to stop riding my bike, or walking around my classroom, or any of the things I love to do.

The ride is next weekend, and of course, I will let you know how it goes. Please donate if you can. Thanks. WCC MS Ride Page

No comments: